Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick: Éclairs, Anyone?

| July 19, 2010

While affectionately laboring over these éclairs, it dawned on me how often I am (happily) baking something for a baby shower.  I realize that humans the world-wide constantly (and rather efficiently, but to some, perhaps excessively) procreate and have done so for some time now.  However, lately, there seriously seems to be a sudden uptick in the number of people either trying to get pregnant or giving birth.

Is there something in the water?

Maybe, but not everyone is swayed or convinced of its baby making power.

Most people agree that humans were built with certain ‘hardware,’ allowing us to make more humans.   But what about the ‘software’?  Specifically, the sub-conscious layer of thinking  – that loudly obnoxious, or for some, muffled banging called Biological Clock?

A very good girlfriend recently suggested that she experiences no such ‘clanging.’ – that this so-called biological clock never turned itself on in her.  In addition, she expressed very little concern about her body (or mind’s) ability to turn the clock on OR when it might do so.

Does this make my friend a human anomaly?  Did my friend sub-consciously, yet vehemently reject the societal pressures for women her age to have babies and subsequently silenced (or broke) her biological clock?  Why does she possess the ‘hardware’ but not the ‘software’?  And why do some women possess the ‘software,’ but lack the ‘hardware’?  Is my friend-sans-biological-clock somehow liberated in a way that women who want children (and all the good, bad and ugly that can come with it) are not?   Can she be liberated from something she has never wanted?

It is unclear and I am no closer to answering these questions than I was before I started this metaphysical, biological and hypothetical debate in my head.  However, my friend’s situation continues to interest me greatly, most likely because I think I might have drank too much of the ‘baby making’ water.  My own biological clock has and continues to be quite clamorous…almost deafening.  Even after two children.  It is L-O-U-D…like the sound of a sustained blow horn.  Curious thing, really.  Should I try ignoring it?  Give in to it?

For the time being, I’ll concentrate on eating these super delicious and simple-to-make eclairs.  Eclairs don’t make my head hurt.

This recipe comes, straight up, from the food network website.  Thanks Gale Gand!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Kids & Food, Travel & Culture, US & Canada

We all have a friend in our lives who is smart, witty, intelligent: you give her cold pasta and chicken and she will whip out a gourmet meal in 15 minutes, she makes chicken soup from scratch for her sick neighborhood even though she is nursing a cold herself… you know that friend who will always be there to drive common sense into you, but doesn’t realize that she is as perfect as they come as a mother, wife and friend. That is our Patty….

1. kristy says:

Hey Patty, what a coincidence! I made some eclairs last weekend. The exact shape and coating! haha… except the fillings… I used lemon curd instead! yours wonderfully presented. Yummm…. Enjoy your day, darling.
    Cheers, Kristy

2. Sommer says:

I have NEVER made eclairs! Suddenly feeling a bit shameful, for you make them look so easy!

3. lululu says:

You’ve hit my major weakness here! Pastry good with sinfully delicious filling and chocolate coating!
    I think I could easily finish all of them.

4. Jillyan says:

I have to chuckle…my biological clock quit ticking years ago and my GROWN daughters don’t seem to have one. My oldest is nearly 28, a designer for Abercrombie and Fitch and says she may never have a child because they are just too messy. Number two is the sous chef at the Hilton in Cincinnati and claims she does not even LIKE children. Number three is just a latent hippie who is still a child at heart. I suppose it’s better to know you shouldnt have one and forgo than it is to have one and dump it off in daycare at 6 weeks old to be raised by stangers.

5. Jeanne says:

Yummy eclairs! I want one for breakfast! I can’t hear my biological clock, so maybe I’m an anomaly as well.

6. Juliana says:

Wow, the eclairs look absolutely perfect…I never made eclairs…only puffs, will have to try it soon :-)

7. Hazeleva says:

The battery on my biological clock gave out years ago but those eclairs would provide a very welcome substitute!

8. Bree says:

One word—AMAZING :)

9. Erica says:

Those look like heaven….Wow..I need to make these at home.

10. Tsering says:

I say give into the deafening biological clock…because you are such a wonderful mother. and good lord! those eclairs look so delicious!

wow! I can’t believe you made those -they look so professional!

12. Could I have a few of them? They look irresistible!

13. Your pate choux looks perfect! The last time I attempted these, they were a bit of a disaster. But man, yours look so good, I have to try again! :)

14. MaryMoh says:

They looked beautiful and delicious. I love to eat them but have never tried making them. Maybe it’s time to start making some. Looks like a lot of fun making :D

15. sweetlife says:

oh eclairs…i adore them…yes my ticker is deafening loud, but no thanks i have two, love them, almost thru with school and i so many thing left to accomplish…

sweetlife

16. Devaki says:

Oh my Patty – I have never made eclairs and suffer from eclair/choux pastry envy for all those like you who do it with such style.

So wonderful, creamy and delightful, flaky do yours look. I have to come back to this post when I do finally end up making these :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

17. omg I am drooling please send me some of these love them so much gorgeous shots and fantastic instructions

18. And the eclairs won’t wake you up in the middle of the night. Well, unless you eat too many of them. And these look really hard to resist.

19. I have a lot of nieces and nephews back in Thailand. And they were really loud when they are all together. But If I have a couple pieces of your eclair, I’m sure I’ll be able to tolerate those loud voices much better. I’ll be dreaming about it tonight.

20. I think you should give in and have another one. LOL! Those eclairs look spectacular! There’s nothing more comforting than cream filled pastries.

21. Although I have not tried to make this, your photos truly interest me, thanks for sharing.

22. denise says:

YOWWWWW! Look at those pictures!!! Haven’t made these in ages but a good eclair is like good sex – even if you haven’t had any in a while, you still remember how knee quakingly good it can be *grin*

Ignore the clanging, make more eclairs…..

23. Sook says:

Wow, I love eclairs!! The filling looks perfect, too!

24. Oh my… These are too rich, too wonderful and too amazing. That last photo is killer:)

25. Ann says:

Wow, these look beautiful and too nice for me to actually try to attempt right now. I’m pregnant and almost ready to pop… Quick!!! Hurry up and come over and make me some yummies! :)

26. Baking Serendipity says:

Ohhhh, these look so good! My husband would totally crack up at your post. And then suggest I make eclairs to take my mind off getting pregnant :) Thanks for the recipe!

27. I never went to a baby shower that had such decadent treats. If there would have been these Eclairs I would have happily gone to more :) Thanks for the link!

28. I applaud you, these look amazing. I have never tried to make eclairs but I’m always the one who eats two or three in a row when I happen to find some in the fridge.
    Magda

29. Liz says:

YUMMY. I love everything about this piece!