We see packets of crisps (or as our American friends say, chips) everywhere these days and most of us are guilty of snacking on at least one packet a day. If you don’t, you must admit you’re at least tempted by them. The problem with most crisps you buy in the shop is that you don’t truly know what goes into them in the way of flavours and colourings . I mean check out this label for Pringles Sour Cream and Chives, and all the elements that go into making that sour cream and chives flavour:
You will be glad to hear that making your own crisps at home is incredibly simple and very quick. What’s even better is that you get to eat them fresh out of the oven! We’ll be covering tortilla chips in this article but we’ll be bringing other crisp recipes to you in future articles.
The Ingredients list may very well be the shortest we have ever put out!
- 6 corn or flour tortilla wraps (more if you want more crisps)
- Seasonings (such as paprika, chilli powder, curry powder, salt, garlic powder)
- Our favourite seasoning combination to use is chilli powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Low Fat Oil Spray
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Open your pack of tortilla wraps and as you are transferring them onto a chopping board one by one spray them with a little oil on both sides.
- Cut each tortilla crap into 8 triangles (the simple way to do this is cut them all at once while piled on top of each other).
- In a small bowl combine your spices together, be adventurous and try random combinations.
- Sprinkle these spices on both sides of your tortilla triangles. The amount of spices you use is completely up to yourself.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 8-10 mins. Open the oven after about 6 mins and turn all the crisps over.
- Allow to cool before enjoying with some healthy dips or simply on their own. Have fun experimenting!!